On the editorial page of the Sunday Times, there was an intriguing article about the unseemly side of state lotteries by Edward Ugel. I’ve never been a fan of the lottery, mostly because every time I stop in the convenience store, I find myself waiting behind two or three depressed individuals who cannot seem to decide whether to play "Mega Millions" or "Set For Life". They also appear to be people who cannot afford to be wasting their money. It’s just a dark energy.
Mr. Ugel worked for a company that exploited past lottery winners. The company specialized in working with winners who did not take their money in the lump sum format. In other words, instead of receiving a couple million dollars right away, they were receiving yearly payments of $100,000 for 20 years.
Mr. Ugel’s company noticed a trend. Lottery winners who received the yearly payments often overspent and found themselves in need of relief from their short-term debt. His company would buy the winners’ future payments in exchange for cash in hand at a hefty profit.
This article got me thinking about a couple points in regard to attracting money.
Whenever I hear of someone dreaming of winning the lottery, it makes me cringe. It represents the worst kind of “if/then” thinking. By this I mean any time you convince yourself that if this happens (i.e., I win the lottery), then that will happen (i.e., I will be set for life and totally happy).
Wherever there is an if/then thought in your life, there is a lie. And I find that the vast majority of people who play the lottery regularly are lying to themselves about their money.
Mr. Ugel wrote “Believe me, these financially lost winners were the rule, not the exception. There are databases overflowing with the identities of winner after winner who won seemingly huge amounts of money only to find themselves destitute (and sometimes dead).”
The fact that these "winners" ultimately become losers in the long run on such a regular basis illuminates a couple of points about the Law of Attraction.
To me, the people who play the lottery are telling themselves that they have little power to create money in their life. They are saying that they are better off putting their energies on a big spin of the wheel rather than addressing their money issue where it lies – inside themselves.
It’s one thing to play the lottery for a moment of entertainment. But if you play with thoughts of your ship coming into harbor, you need to look closely at your current relationship with money.
Those people with the low energy buying lotto tickets at my gas station? They do not resonate with being wealthy. They resonate with desperation regarding money. Even if these people were to win millions of dollars, because they do not resonate with having money, it is highly likely that those dollars would pass through their experience like sand through a sieve. As Mr. Ugel’s article points out, highly profitable businesses were built on this fact.
I’ve read estimates where 10% of the people hold 90% of the world’s wealth. This is because these 10% understand the rules of money and resonate with having money and the majority of people do not. This is why the rich do indeed get richer – because they are a vibrational match for having money.
If you were to take away all the money that the 10% have and distribute it to the other 90% of the world, in less than a few years time, all that money would be back in the hands on the 10%. Those people are the magnets for money.
Do not spend your energy wishing upon a star for money to magically appear and change your life.
Work on changing your vibration to become a money magnet.
(The New York Times. The Lottery’s Next Big Loser: Illinois by Edward Ugel, Sec 4, p. 17, Jan 28th, 2007),